home‎ > ‎

History.html

    The construction of the St. Francis Xavier building was begun in 1908.  According to an article in a local newspaper, The Cresson Record, dated February 28, 1908: "The moving of Cresson and Sankertown Catholics from Saint Aloysius will result in a new congregation that will include about 250 families."

    Later that year, The Johnstown Democrat, reported on September 14, 1908: “The new Church is to be erected at an expense of over $25,000.  For the last ten years or more the Catholic residents of Cresson have been compelled to go to the Summit in order to  attend Mass on Sundays, as well as other holy days of obligation

    The Memorial Volume of the Dedication of the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, Altoona, PA, (printed July 16, 1930) described the early beginnings of the parish:  "The people of the town continued to attend Mass at the Summit till the town church was completed and dedicated, the latter ceremony occurring on September 20, 1909.  Henceforth Mass was said there every Sunday and Holy Day by Father Graven, who, however, continued to reside at the Summit until the end of the year 1912.  On New Year=s Day, 1913, he took up his residence in the town, thus becoming the first resident pastor of St. Francis Xavier.  After a few years, a rectory was built beside the church, which conforms with the sacred edifice in material and architecture.  In 1923 work was started on the school.  The cornerstone was laid in April, 1923, and the building was completed and ready for occupancy in January, 1924.  This school is one of the most substantial and up-to-date in our Diocese, and, like the church and rectory, is constructed of stone.  The Sisters of Mercy, who are in charge, reside at their motherhouse, Mt. Aloysius Academy, in the town.  Father Graven continues at the helm, cheerful and beloved by all..."

   Father James Graven died in 1933 and became the first to be buried in the Parish Cemetery, its consecrated land on Route 53 North, Cresson Township donated out of the goodness of the Charles & Bertha Conway Family.

  The next pastor, Fr. John J. Brady oversaw the construction of a stone grotto over a spring adjacent to the Church from 1935-36.  Men of the parish donated time and labor in return for donations of graves from the Cemetery. The Shrine to St. Ann was blessed and dedicated on July 26, 1936. Nearly 2000 attended the dedication ceremonies.       

CHECK OUT OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL VIDEOS: 

NEW VIDEO ON CRESSON PARISHES-ST. ALOYSIUS & ST. FRANCIS XAVIER  

RENOVATIONS VIDEO-ST. FRANCIS XAVIER 


PASTORS & ASSISTANTS OF ST. FRANCIS XAVIER PARISH, CRESSON, PA


FOUNDING PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. James A. Graven—1913-33

ASSISTANTS

        1913        Rev. Fr. Wm. H. Quinn

        1915    Rev. Fr. L. P. Donahue

        1915    Rev. Fr. Morgan A. McDermott

        1918    Rt. Rev. Msgr. I. J. Denny

        1922    Rev. Fr. Thomas Kelley

        1926    Rev. Fr. Owen S. Hackett

        1929    Rev. Fr. I. A. Strittmatter


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. John J. Brady—1933-43

ASSISTANTS

       1934    Rev. Fr.  John P. Mcentire

       1934    Rev. Fr. Eugene Bradley

       1935    Rev. Fr. Edward J. Waters

       1936    Rev. Msgr. Thomas E. Madden

       1937    Rev. Fr. Gerald E. Stpehens


PASTOR........................................................ Rt. Rev. Msgr. Bernard Conley—1943-48

ASSISTANTS

    1943    Rev. Fr. James J. Quinn

    1946    Rev. Fr. Walter Kurdziel


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Morgan A. McDermott—1948-56

ASSISTANTS

    1948    Rev. Fr. Cassian Zembruzuski, O.F.M.

    1953    Rev. Fr. Lambert Sidor, O.F.M.

    1954    Rev. Fr. Charle Leonardis

    1955    Rev. Albert J. Bechtold


PASTOR........................................................ Very Rev. Fr. Jeremiah P. Flynn—1956-61

ASSISTANTS

    1957    Rev. Fr. Charles Leonardis

    1958    Rev. Fr. Elmer A. Pica

    1959    Rev. Fr. Raymond E. Karr


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Chas. Wm. White –1961-62

ASSISTANTS

1962    Rev. Fr. Carl A. Spishak


PASTOR........................................................ Very Rev. Fr. Gerald E. Stephens 1962-68

ASSISTANTS

            Rev. Fr. Carl A. Spishak

    1963    Rev. Fr. Walter V. Byrne


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Albert J. Bechtold—1968-80

ASSISTANTS

                Rev. Fr. Carl A. Spishak

    1969    Rev. Fr. Philip M. Bender

    1971    Rev. Fr. David R. Becker

    1974    Rev. Fr. Bernard V. Grattan

    1976    Rev. Fr. William E. Mullen

    1976    Rev. Fr. George J. Valko

    1976    Rev. Fr. James F. Crookston

    1978    Rev. Fr. Ronald B. Yogus

    1979    Rev. Fr. Stanley B. Carson


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Carl A. Spishak—1980-87

ASSISTANTS

                Rev. Fr. Stanley B. Carson

    1983    Rev. Fr. Donald Dusza

    1985    Rev. Fr. James M. Foster

    1986    Rev. Fr. Walter Byrne, Senior Priest


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Francis Balestino—1987-88

ASSISTANTS

              Rev. Fr. James M. Foster


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. David Roesch 1988-1996

ASSISTANTS

            Rev. Joseph Mazurkiewicz

            Rev. Fr. George Valko, In Residence

            Rev. Dr. Joseph Cassidy, MD Permanent Deacon


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. David R. Cronauer 1996-99

ASSISTANTS

            Rev. Fr. George Valko, In Residence

            Rev. Dr. Joseph Cassidy, MD, Permanent Deacon


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Angelo J. Patti—1999-2008

ASSISTANTS

            Rev. Fr. David R. Rizzo, In Residence

            Rev. Mr. Joseph C. Nale, Transitional Deacon In Residence


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. George M. Gulash, 2008-11


PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Valentine J. Bradley—2011-12

ADMINISTRATOR.....................................   Rev. Fr. Paul M. Robine—2012

PASTOR........................................................ Rev. Fr. Leo F. Arnone—2012—Present




 







































Comments